Saturday 8 August 2015

August 9, 2015

Yesterday I spent some time pulling weeds in the garden.   Weeds grow like crazy during the fall and winter which take a great toll on the garden.  When I started working it was in pretty bad shape.


But after about three hours, I had made some headway.  



The bed on the far right is the artichoke bed and that is now cleared of weeds.  The next bed over usually has peas and carrots.  I did about half that bed but then had to quit.  My fingers were very VERY cold, and my back had had enough!!  But there is so much more to do, so as long as it's not raining, I'll tough out the cold and get the garden in shape for planting.


This morning, Mike decided that since rain was expected for the afternoon, and the wind was calm, we could go ahead and burn one of the piles of brush.  He chose the one on the north side of the property next to the driveway.  Last year Terry had dug an enormous pit out there and Mike had filled it with brush. The pits are 10-12 feet across and 8-10 feet deep, and Mike piles the brush up to
 8-10 feet above the rim of the pit.  Here is what the piles look like before we start to burn.



Then Mike sets it on fire.



And after two hours it's gone.



It will smolder and smoke for several weeks before it goes out completely.

But before it was completely burned, we had a rain and sleet storm blow in from the south.  I got a picture of it coming.


It rained and sleeted for about 30 minutes and then the clouds cleared and the sun came out.  About 2 hours later another storm blew through, again rain and sleet for 30 minutes.  But it stayed cloudy and more rain is predicted for tonight.

Heather is making pizza for dinner!  Yeah!!  I love her home made pizza.





No comments:

Post a Comment