Tuesday 20 September 2011

Building a House

Day 2


Up bright and early this morning to get going on the projects Mike left for us to do for the house.  Heather filled nail and screw holes and I sanded the ones she had done over the weekend and then in the afternoon sanded those she had done this morning.  It doesn't sound like much but there are 5 rooms downstairs and three rooms upstairs and after the first few hours it became very tedious.  But we finished by about 3 in the afternoon and started taping the wood beams and windows, getting ready to paint.  Mike came home at 5 so we called it a day and went to the "Wee Mansion" to cook dinner.


Cooking is a real challenge since there is no stove in the Wee Mansion.  They have a propane fired camp burner (probably better known to you from high school chemistry as a Bunson burner), and a small toaster oven and a microwave.  Fortunately there is a kitchen sink with running water.  Meals have to be planned carefully since you can only cook with one pan on the camp burner at a time.  But Heather has been doing this for almost a year now and Mike will eat anything you put in front of him!


Heather and Mike finished my bedroom in the house and that is where I am sleeping.  There is no heat in the house yet but I have a space heater in the room and it keeps me toasty at night.  Temps at night are in the low 30's but it is supposed to be warming up as we move into spring.  My room, on the second floor, has a balcony and standing out there early in the morning is just a symphony of bird calls.  Have you ever heard a magpie??  They have a beautiful warbling call.  I'm going to try to record a morning on the balcony.  I doubt I can figure out how to send it by computer, but I will bring it home with me.


There is lots to see around the property and I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow.  Bye till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment